By using this app, you will not need to send us your identity document by post.
Who can use the app
You must be resident in the UK and either:
• be a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national
• have an EEA or Swiss national family member, if you are not a national of a country in the EEA or Switzerland
If you are not an EEA or Swiss national, you must have a UK issued biometric residence card or permit (provided you are in the UK) to use this app. If you do not have one, you will need to apply by post instead.
Before you start
You will need:
• your passport or national identity card, if you are an EEA or Swiss national
• your UK issued biometric residence card or permit (provided you are in the UK), if you are not an EEA or Swiss national and have an EEA or Swiss national family member
• a well-lit area, so that you can take a good quality photograph of yourself
If you use a national identity card without a biometric chip, you can still use this app but will need to send us the card by post.
How it works
1. take an image of your document
2. read the chip in your document using your phone
3. scan your face using your phone
4. take a photograph of yourself for your digital status
What happens next
The app only helps confirm your identity. You must complete the rest of your application online separately. We'll tell you how to complete your application when you finish using the app.
Privacy and security
The app is safe and secure. Your personal information will not be stored in the app or on the phone when you finish using it.
We recommend you use this app on Android 10 or above. For information on staying safe online please visit the UK Cyber Aware website.
Our Accessibility Statement can be found at: