Remote analysis and measurement of overhead electricity lines and structures.
LineSmarts supports the following measurements:
• Wire tension and sag
• Structure dimensions (including height, width, diameter, lean)
• Wire vertical support load
• Span length
• Ground clearance
• Falling tree clearance
LineSmarts uses these measurements as a basis for calculating from user-defined design load cases:
• Conductor tension, utilisation and attachment loads
• Wire sags and blow-out
• Critical design and clearance load cases
• Ground, building and vegetation clearances
LineSmarts is available for free for a period of one month after which a subscription must be purchased for ongoing use. Visit www.linesmarts.com for further details, including extensive tutorials.
LineSmarts provides several advantages over established methods:
• It is safe to use – Unlike other methods LineSmarts does not require: operation at heights, operation near electrified wires, operation of heavy equipment, proximity to or disturbance of mechanically loaded assets
• It can be non-invasive - In many cases assets on private property can be measured without setting foot on the property, in some cases without even leaving your vehicle
• It is easy to use – LineSmarts exploits the usability of modern consumer tablets and smartphones to create a tool that is simple, intuitive and a pleasure to use
• It is efficient – Typically measurements can be completed within minutes of arriving on site
* It is low cost – The equipment requirements for taking LineSmarts measurements, a tablet or smartphone and a laser range finder, are typically already be available within electricity transmission or distribution utilities, or can be purchased relatively cheaply
• It is accurate – Once properly calibrated, LineSmarts is a highly precise and accurate method for measuring overhead line wire tensions
• It is immediate – The results can be viewed in the field without requirement for post-processing or additional analysis
• It provides a record – The raw output from LineSmarts is a photo that is overlaid with the measurement result. The image can be stored as a permanent record of the assets condition at the time of measurement and/or emailed to those who need the results.
• It keeps getting better – Expect improvements and new features
We developed LineSmarts initially as a tension and sag measurement tool for the electricity distribution industry. We recognised that established methods for measuring tension have significant drawbacks. They can variously be too expensive, complex, labour intensive, time consuming, hazardous or just inadequate. Whether you are an engineer, surveyor or lineman, whether you work on LV, 11kV or 500kV, or use ACSR, AAAC or OPGW, LineSmarts will remove guesswork from your job.
Conductor tension is arguably the most fundamental and important parameter for the design of overhead lines. Discrepancy between actual line tension and the tension used for calculation, leads to error which touches on almost every facet of power line design, including:
• Support design - longitudinal, transverse and vertical loads on poles, stays and footings
• Conductor and fitting mechanical design – design for fatigue endurance and strength under extreme loading events
• Electrical design – phase to phase and circuit to circuit internal clearances, ground clearances and blow-out clearances to buildings, trees and easement boundaries
• Maintenance and construction design – for hazard identification and the specification of appropriate methods and equipment
Our goal is to provide practical solutions to anyone working with overhead electricity distribution or transmission lines including; engineers, overhead line designers, condition assessors, project managers, construction linemen, faults linemen and maintenance linesmen.