OGN Viewer - FLARM Radar app
Visualises the glider traffic of the "Open Glider Network"
The "Open Glider Network" (OGN) is a network of HF receivers maintained by gliding enthusiasts mainly in europe which listen to signals of flarm devices (or compatible) and OGN trackers. The "OGN Viewer" connects to the OGN and visualises the received data.
How to use:
The area the OGN viewer shows is given by the aprs filter. You can choose between "Moving APRS filter" and "Manual filter" (see in the settings).
The "Moving APRS filter" an area around the current point. The area is visualized by a red circle (dotted line). You can set the radius. If you change your position, the circle is automatically updated.
If you set the "Manual filter", you can create the area by (long) pressing on the map. The dialog offers you the manual filter string for a circle with radius of 100km. If you confirm the dialog, the area is visualized by a red circle (continuous line).
Start the OGN viewer and set up the aprs filter. If you leave the filter empty you will see the whole OGN traffic and this could make the app slow. If you make a long click on the map, the filter dialog will appear with a filter for the range 100km around the point you clicked.
How to use with XCSoar:
With OGN viewer you can feed the OGN stream to XCSoar. GPS has to be enabled. Also enable the "TCP server" in the settings. Then start XCSoar and add an additional NMEA input under Config->Devices->Edit:
Port: TCP client
IP Address: localhost
TCP Port: 4353
1. the current version of XCSoar cannot handle multiple Flarm sources. So if XCSoar is already connected with a "real" Flarm this feature will not work.
2. targets up to 2km are not shown. Look out!
For some gliders detailed information are shown: registration, competition sign and model. If for a glider only a cryptic id is shown (e.g. "DD4711" or "3D0815"), you can fix it:
- just tap on the id and fill in the informations in the upcoming dialog (these informations are stored on your device only)
- if you are the owner of the glider, just go to the "OGN devices db" (http://ddb.glidernet.org) and fill in the informations (these information are visible to all users of this app)
- if you aren't the owner but you know the owner, just ask the owner to fill in the informations to the "OGN devices db"
http://wiki.glidernet.org (all information about OGN)
http://live.glidernet.org (real time OGN map)
http://www.aprs-is.net/javaprsfilter.aspx (APRS filter syntax)
https://github.com/Meisterschueler/ogn-viewer-android (complete source code of this app. Any help appreciated)